Test printing the octomax

This is at .4 scale, so Amy errors are due to the difficulty in finishing the surface or notreaking it. I scaled out without modification so certain parts were just too flimsy.

Successful though, so I'll start the normal printing tomorrow. 

 

image.jpg

Working on a more sophisticated octo max suit

Printed at .1 

Printed at .1 

First test part print for a more sophisticated version of the octomax spot from octonauts.  Unlike the official toy, this will feature fully articulated joints. Here you are an arm.  Notice my silly mistake orienting the elbow to the shoulder joint. Obviously I'll fix that. 

More interesting is the hands attachment. Instead of one hand, my son will be able to screw in multiple hands just like in the show, including a grabber and a jackhammer, as well as an articulated hand.

The real toy has  batterieshich ist idiotic: you can't bring it in the water. The joints here are all plastic, so it will be water safe.

Obviously it will fit standard octonauts into it. 

Completed Pen

I love my Pilot Parallels pen, but the body...the body is terrible.  The nib is brilliant, with a revolutionary design, but the body is insane: the cap doesn't fit on the base, and the base itself is so long as to not fit in a pocket.

Stock Pilot Parallel pen.

Obviously it was designed to ape more traditional calligraphic pens, but still.

Here are my replacements, printed at the lowest resolution on my Form+.  That's how amazing this printer is: I could print threads on the bottom that match the threads on the nib, AND print new threads on the outside to match the new top.

Now, after some polishing with the 1-2-3 Novus solutions.

The vegi-bot

Cole loves octonauts, so when he saw the new episode with the vegi-bot I knew he'd be asking for one. Unfortunately, there isn't one to buy. 

Fortunately, I have the form+. 

I modelled it in about an hour, then it took four hours to print. After some cleaning up with sandpaper and acrylic spray, you've got this.  Cole insisted on clear, and the internal structure prevented full polishing. Next time I'll use an opaque resin.

 

Done, on the print bed  

Done, on the print bed  

The printed pieces  

The printed pieces  

Assembled

Assembled

image.jpg

The arms, in case it isn't clear, are free swiveling captured ball joints. 

Making a Cookie Cutter with a Form+ and Adobe Fusion 360

My kid loves cookies (you know, unlike every other child) and Transformers (also unlike every other child).  Fortunately, I have a Form+ printer and Adobe Fusion, so making our own Transformers cookie cutters isn't too complicated.

First, a disclaimer: formlabs resin isn't rated for food.  Using it to cut or work with food is done at your own risk, and neither I nor anyone else takes any responsibility for your choices.  In my case, I'm comfortable that the fully-cured part, covered in acrylic spray, is safe for myself to use to quickly shape the dough.  However, whatever you do is your call.

A simple cookie cutter is just the perimeter of the shape, but doing it that way limits the amount of detail I can use.  A more advanced cutter has a framework on the top of the cutter that allows you to partially protrude additional details to emboss the cut cookie.  This has the added advantage - when 3D printing - of providing more rigidity and stability to the printed product.

I started with the Decepticon logo, and loaded it into Adobe Fusion as a guide.  For a full discussion of that technique, look here:

In Fusion, it looked like this.

The finished design in Autodesk Fusion 360

This was a simple process: trace the shapes, sweep the paths up, then add the background bracing.  Holes were carved out to avoid suction in the cutter.

A final render in Fusion 360.

Then, it was printed in Clear v.2 Formlabs resin on my Form 1+.

The printed cutter.

Finally, it was sanded and sprayed with acrylic.

First 3D printing

My insanely generous brother-in-law and sister-in-law gave me a new Form+ printer.

First, I replaced my keyfob.


image.jpg

Then, some axes for my kid.

 

image.jpg

Now, a new body for a pen.

 

image.jpg

Launching on SquareSpace

Every blog begins with a silly post about it being the silly post.

This site is primarily for me to display my artwork, and occasionally to sell some of it.  My actual marketplace is at https://squareup.com/market/mattharvest.  Any piece which is available for sale will be linked accordingly.

I hope you enjoy this space.